Saturday 23 November 2013

Speed Tribute at ER today.


As you may have gathered, this isn't a blog of many words. Sensible words even less so, but I thought it would be amiss not to type something about Gary Speed, with tributes planned at ER today.

To put it simply, Gary Speed was my first ever favourite player. He had it all; he could pass, dribble, head, score... but perhaps more importantly to an 8 year old watching football for the first time, he was just cool!

Unfortunately, I wasn't really a Leeds fan when he was at his absolute best; my first season ticket coincided with the time when people, with hindsight, started saying 'He did need a move'. Even then, he was still massively popular, and I was gutted when he left for Everton.

Skip forward to that day in 2011 when I heard what had happened, and I was shocked. I was also shocked at the affect it had on me. 

I would never have expected to feel as gutted as I did. Don't get me wrong- I can see that it's sad when anyone dies, but the way I actually had to stop what I was doing really took me by surprise.

I couldn't go to the Nottingham forest game, but there was no way I was missing the Millwall one. Not ashamed to say I cried inside Elland Road that day.

Don't really know how to finish this up, so I'll leave it with a video. Not the tribute one from the big screen, but a simple youtube tribute of Speed's goals.

Get one yourself son.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment