Wednesday 20 March 2013

The Cantona Myth

Eric Cantona; Leeds stats 91-92 title division 1

Don't get me wrong; I'm not disputing that Cantona was a great player. I wish we hadn't sold him, and if Wilko had known how to manage him, things could have been very different.

I'm also not disputing the fact that his arrival gave us a lift.

I'll even be gracious enough to admit that those stats aren't at all bad for a player in a new country, and new league for the first time.

What I can't stand for is the suggestion (often by Man U fans or the Media) that he arrived, and single handedly carried an average side to the title. That just isn't how it happened; in fact, the decisive run of 4 wins and a draw in the last 5 games coincided with Cantona being dropped from the starting XI.

Incidentally, of his 3 goals, only one was at a crucial point in its game; giving us a 1-0 lead against Luton. The others, against Wimbledon and Chelsea, were the 4th in a 5-1 win, and the 3rd in a 3-0, and for me, this sums up his role in the title win; a late contribution that was useful, but not essential.

No comments:

Post a Comment